Goddess braids exploded in the 90’s and they’re an awesome and elegant protective style.
As with all styles they are making a rapid comeback and in a good way not the moth ball , out of date kind of way.
Many naturalistas use this style as a winter protective style but ….
I love wearing them in the summer too because all of my hair is contained! 🙂
Tips for Great Goddess Braids:
- Goddess Braids can be achieved on your real natural hair, with at least nape of neck length making it easily doable for most lengths.
- If you want some hang time to your goddess braids add in some kankelon hair
- To get a little more smoothness but still leave some texture , blow dry your natural hair just to the point of dryness (not bone straight)
- Spray hairspray or spritz on a comb to comb down flyways.
- Tie your hair up with a silk scarf every night. (should at least last 3-5 days)
- Use a rat tail comb to pick up the braids and spread them to create a more volumized braid.
I love that these 15 pictures of goddess braids are elegant and bold. The style is so simple but packs a big style punch.
Have you had goddess braids in the past? If not, I hope these dope ladies inspired you future hair styles!
goddess braid crown
goddess braid ponytail
goddess braid with curls
goddess braid around the head