How to Maintain Crochet Braids
Crochet braids have quickly become one the go-to protective styles in the natural hair community. Whether styled straight or curly, this styling option offers a huge amount of versatility as well as a very natural-looking end result. Once you install them, you may realize that caring for your crochet braids will be somewhat different than caring for a sew-in or wig. Here are a few tips and tricks on how to maintain your crochet braids:
Keep the Scalp Clean and Oiled
Since you have access to your scalp, it’s easy to cleanse the scalp in between washes if you notice any build-up.
- A simple way to clean the scalp while wearing crochet braids is by using an applicator bottle to apply your diluted shampoo, rubbing the shampoo into the scalp, and blotting it dry with a wash cloth or towel.
- Another method is using a leave-in shampoo spray/ dry shampoo to clean the scalp by spraying the solution on to the scalp and rubbing it with a washcloth until all of the build-up is gone.
- One final method of washing includes actually co-washing the scalp, rinsing and then shampooing and deep conditioning the weave itself. Once you’ve thoroughly cleansed the scalp, follow up with some more oil.
Keep the Hair Conditioned and Detangled
If you find that your hair is looking a bit lack-luster, then it may be time for some conditioning.
- Apply a cheap conditioner starting from the ends and working your way up.
- Let it sit for about 5 minutes and detangle using either a paddle brush or a Denman brush.
- Thoroughly rinse the conditioner out with cold water in order to seal the “cuticle” of the hair.
Keep the Hair Oiled
After conditioning the hair, it will need to be oiled with a light oil such as Coconut Oil or maybe even just some oil spray or oil sheen. Don’t use a heavy amount of oil because you don’t want to weigh the hair down, and you don’t want the hair leaving a bunch of oil stains on your clothes and pillows.
Interested in getting crochet braids soon? Get your FREE resource list for maintaining your crochet braids, by signing up below.