Natural hair and curly hair is prone to tangling and matting.
It is important to gently remove these tangles in knowing how to detangle your natural hair to ensure it’s health.
As your hair gets longer more knots and tangles may appear so taking your time completing this step should help eliminate them.
Tools to use detangling natural hair:
- wide tooth comb
- Tangle Teezer
- Leave in conditioner
- Denman Brush
- Paddle brush
- Pre poo treatment
Detangling in the Shower:
One of the easiest ways to remove tangles from your hair is in the shower with a lot of conditioners.
- After washing your natural hair separate your hair into 4 sections and saturate it with conditioner.
- You can use any conditioner your prefer I mainly use a cheap one such as White Rain, VO5, or Suave as it is cheap and will be mainly rinsed out.
- Make sure all strands are saturated with conditioner so you will not rip your hair out.
- Working from the ends of the hair to the roots gently begin to comb your hair with a wide tooth comb.
- If needed stand directly under the shower head so the water is also running down the length of your hair.
- Run your fingers through your hair to make sure you combed out all tangles.
- When that section is detangled braid or twist it up and repeat the steps for the remaining sections.
Detangling before shampooing:
If you would like to detangle before shampooing your hair you can use the same method above but with a leave in conditioner, spray bottle filled with water or even a moisturizing pre poo treatment.